Solo Diver Certification
At one point or another, many divers have found themselves alone during a dive, whether it was intentional or not. Solo Diving is the practice of self reliant scuba diving without a “dive buddy.”Solo diving is now seen by many experienced divers and some certification agencies as an acceptable practice for those divers suitably trained and experienced. Rather than relying on the traditional buddy diving safety system, solo divers should be skilled in self-sufficiency and willing to take responsibility for their own safety while diving.
Who this class is for:
- The certified Advanced Diver who is interested in learning how to dive independent of a dive buddy, or strengthening your buddy team diving skills.
- Underwater photographers or videographers
Our Solo Diver certification class fee includes:
- Your online learning, tests & one on one instructor review.
- 2 instructor-led dives in open waters.
- Solo Diver certification card & processing fees.
What you will learn:
- Why solo dive?
- Pros and cons of buddy diving and solo diving
- Legal liability assumed by buddy diving
- How to use the SDI Solo Diving waiver and release
- Who must solo dive?
- The solo diving mentality
- When not to solo dive
- Equipment for solo diving
- Planning and conducting a solo dive
- Management of solo diving emergencies
- How to plan dive limits based on personal air consumption rate
- Plan exact dive
- Properly execute the planned dive within all predetermined limits
- Equipment configuration appropriate for solo diving
- Proper descent/ascent rates
- Proper safety stop procedures
- Monitoring of decompression status equipment; tables, computers, equipment, etc.
- Navigation skills – demonstrate proficiency of navigation with compass
- Demonstrate emergency change over to redundant air supply (not to exceed 30 metres/100 feet)
- Deploy surface marker buoy (SMB)
- Use of audible signaling device
Solo diver certification prerequisites:
- 21 years or older.
- Advanced Open water diving certification
- Proof of 100 or more logged dives
- Approved diver medical form
- Liability waiver
- Standard scuba gear (Regulators, BCD, Weights, Tanks).
- Independent air source (pony bottle with independent regulator, twin cylinders with isolation, H-Valve or independent doubles).
- Spare mask (must be carried during dive).
- Satisfactorily complete the online learning course with a test score of 80% or higher.
- After instructor remediation, a test score of 100%
- Complete all open water requirements efficiently
- Insure the certifying agency has your photo on their website (no hats or sunglasses)
- 2-3 hours for online learning
- 4-5 hours of instructor led surface & in-water training
Please check our online calendar for a scheduled class before purchasing. You may be able to join an already scheduled course.
This class includes your online e-learning material, 2 in-water training sessions with a certified instructor, your certification card (C-Card) and the skills to handle situations when your buddy is not there or cannot assist you.